Saturday, March 8, 2014

Thyroid Cancer

 

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer on January 3, 2013.

The process all began a little over a year ago when I had the routine blood tests done for pregnancy, I was referred to an endocrinologist on account that my TSH was at 12 and they like to see it between 1-2. I saw a Dr. Eskandari in Kirkland, WA up until we bought a house and moved to Covington, WA. Then I started seeing Dr. Mercado who could treat me there. At my first appointment of December 2013 she felt a lump on my thyroid and wanted me to get an ultrasound to get it checked. Dr. Mercado said it was probably nothing, but sometimes they can be cancerous and getting an ultrasound on it would let us know. I got the ultrasound appointment and told Taylor. I don't think he heard me tell him because when I told him the day of the ultrasound, a week later, he was shocked and got a little worried. It was a pretty quick procedure and I remember the tech telling me that the lump would be swollen for a while. When I drove out of the parking lot I remember thinking, "I can do this! This is just my physical body." I felt confidant and like this was a blessing to catch it now if it was cancer.

A few days later I got a call from Dr. Mercado's office saying that an order was put in to a radiologist in Tacoma to have a fine needle aspiration (a biopsy) done on the lump on my thyroid. Now we were worried! We both went to the worst case scenarios of cancer: suffering, sickness, long-term issues, death... Then we decided to really look into "thyroid cancer" and found quite the opposite of our original fears. We found many creditable resources staying that stage 1 thyroid cancer is 97-100% curable. The common treatment is removal of the thyroid, radiation treatment (radioactive iodine), then thyroid hormone replacement (Synthroid) for the the rest of the person's life. With this new information many of our fears were calmed. But we we're still shaken up and ready to find out more about what we were in for.

I remember the biopsy well. Taylor took off work and we took Nelli to her cousin, Thayne's, house. I remember feeling surprisingly happy and energetic. It was a quick drive to Tacoma. I was feeling a little nervous at the thought of 5 needles going into my neck. I had prayed that I would find strength to do this. I did as Taylor held my hand and as I saw my sweet baby Violet in his other arm. They numbed the area of my neck that they would be poking and Vi gave me a big smile. I laughed -- I know, I laughed... I actually had to keep thinking of sad or serious things to keep me from laughing during the whole biopsy. The Doctor said with a big smile "Well, I've never had that happen before. I get more crying than laughing in this office." This experience reminded me of an experience after praying for help during one hard day of pregnancy with Vi. I had comfort spoken to me that she would bring happiness and laughter into our hearts and home. She sure has!


We were told we should expect the results in no more than two weeks from then. We got a call three days later. I was playing with the girls in the toy room when Dr. Mercado called and asked what I was doing at that moment. She made sure I wasn't driving and that I was sitting down. She told me I had stage 1 papillary thyroid cancer. The lab results on my biopsy cells were 98% positive. She explained a little about the cancer and where we would be going from there. She also gave me some resources for Taylor and I to look into and bring our questions to my next appointment a few days later. I remember her saying, "of all the cancers, this one is the best one to get because of how curable it is at this stage."

The appointment went well and I was told to wean off Violet and get ready for the treatment of thyroid removal, radiation and thyroid hormone replacement. Dr. Mercado recommended that my siblings, especially my sisters and parents get their thyroid checked, due to thyroid problems being genetic. Through this process I found out that both my grandmas and a few extended family members had already been diagnosed with thyroid problems. My cousin Heidi Evans actually had thyroid cancer 7 years ago. I got in contact with her and she was so helpful to talk to!

I saw an ENT, Dr. Cobert, a few weeks later for a consultation on my thyroid removal and set the surgery for February 25, 2014.

The surgery went really well. I puked a lot from the anesthesia the first few hours after, my throat was super sore for a few days, and Violet would swing her hand and hit my neck sometimes. Other than that, the healing wasn’t too bad. Actually I'd say it wasn't any worse than varicose vein surgery I had a few months before. Taylor took off work that week and my Mom (Nana) flew in from Cedar City to help out with my recovery. They were amazing! My girls were so well taken care of and my house was cleaner than it has ever been. I was so spoiled! I got to sleep a lot and when I was awake I received so much love and care. 

Here are some pictures from the 10 days my Mom was here:

 
Just got home from the surgery. Nelli wouldn’t come to me at first. I think she was a little worried. It didn’t take her long to warm up though.


Nana and Violet.



Berry pie. Nana made detailed berries out of play dough. Nana loves berries.


I stocked up on art supplies and activities from IKEA a few weeks before the surgery. So glad! I tried to play and enjoy the girls as much as I could.

 
 
Nana and Nelli went for a lot of walks together and always came back excited with so much to tell about what they saw and heard, i.e. bufflehead ducks, geese, snails, flowers blooming.


Nana helping in the kitchen.


We went to the Chittenden Locks... I love it there!

 
Where's Waldo? Nelli's favorite--she's so good at it!


A few days after surgery we got a call from Dr. Colbert, he had taken out a few lymph nodes around my thyroid and the cancer had spread to one of them. This means that the cancer cells could be spread throughout my body. The treatment and prognosis are the same other than I will receive 50% more radioactive iodine.

I was told to expect a rough month in preparation for the radioactive iodine. I'm on a low-iodine diet, which was a little intimidating at first, but then I found some great recipes on Pinterest. Oh Pinterest, you come in handy! I'm also on no thyroid hormone replacement, which means fatigue and a possibility of a whole slew of unpleasant symptoms. So far I feel so much better than I thought I would. :)

The radiation is a part in not looking forward too. I have to be isolated for 7 days! I will be staying somewhere else. How do you explain to a 3 year old that she can't be near or touch her mommy? Taylor will be taking work off and his Mom will be coming to help him out. Taylor and my other friends and family can come visit for an hour at a time as long as they stay three feet away from me. Man! I'm already looking forward to it being over. I'm craving to hold Violet just thinking about it. I've been taking a lot of pictures and videos of my family hoping between that and Skype it will get me through.

As for support from others, I could have never imagined the outpour of help offered and support we've been given. We can totally do this! We have so many people routing for us and ready to help. We get people almost begging to help watch the girls, cook, clean, get groceries, etc. The sisters in my ward have been volunteering to make us dinners 3-4 times a week. Many of them have spent time looking into the diet. I've seen a new realm of service and love.































































1 comment:

  1. You're amazing! Thank you for sharing the details of your journey. I know your example of faith and endurance will continue to bless others. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete