Monday, March 24, 2014

RAI

I drove to the Auburn Multicare Medical Center on Friday morning to have a final consultation with the nuclear medicine doctor in charge of my case and to take a radioactive iodine (RAI) pill.

The pill came in a UFO looking metal container that the tech unscrewed the heavy metal lid, then pulled out an inner plastic container with tweezers. She opened it and poured the contents into a small pill cup. I looked in and saw a small metal looking pill. Here we go. I downed it with two paper cups full of water, then they sent me on my way.

I drove my car packed with the things I'd need for the next 5 days of isolation to my sister-in-law's empty house in Snoqualmie, WA. Just a short distance from my house. Day 1 and 2 were a little rough. I felt nauseated and cold symptoms(I woke up with a cold Friday morning-- awesome!). I relaxed and slept a lot though, which made it go by pretty quick. I had to drink a lot of water to flush the excess radiation out of my system.

I've been reading, watching "Little Men" on Netflix, updating my blog, talking on the phone and enjoying walks outdoors. It was a beautiful 60 something degree weather yesterday. I walked and read for hours outside. I also LOVED playing games and reading stories to Nelli over Skype. She ate her mac & cheese dinner and we talked. It was like I was there for a while during the normal activities of the day. Later that day, my parents in Utah called on Skype and I got to talk with my niece, Lucy, and nephew, Porter, as well as some of my siblings, Sam, Es, Anna, Dan, Ashley, and my parents.

Taylor came and spent time with me last night. We watched a few tv shows across the couch from each other (everyone has to stay 3' away), then he slept in a different room in the house. He was here! I loved seeing his face. I loved knowing he was here! :)

It was hard to see him go this morning. I cried, even though I know he'll come visit me tomorrow. I miss him. I miss taking care of my girls and my house. Heck, I even miss changing Vi's diaper. The best thing is that it won't last much longer :). 2 days from right now to go. I've been planning things to do with them when we will be together and it really helps with the longing; things like family bike rides, April Fool's Day pranks, family trips, etc.

It's really comforting to know that my girls are in great hands with their Daddy, Grandma and Grandpa, who love them so much. Grandpa and Grandma say that all the little things of taking care of little ones just comes back to them as they go along.

Grandma Jana loves playing games with the girls.
 
 


Grandpa and Daddy just finished getting the girls ready for church.


 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it sounds like such a strange experience! It's amazing how quickly we miss the seemingly banal moments and routines. Glad it'll be over soon!

    ReplyDelete