Thursday, August 5, 2010

Kumon


I volunteered at a after school program called Kumon. It's a world-wide program that encourages children (or adults) to learn independently.  They come to the center to have a quite place to work as well as turn in and pick up their work. Lupita runs this center I worked at in London.  She monitors the children's work coming in and moves them forward in the program.

I worked at the oral reading counter where children would come take oral tests with me.  I would time them and give them feedback. They would also come read books out loud to me and I would score them for Lupita to see.  I would also correct their work and record it.

Sarah
I worked with some refugees from Somalia. It was so sad to hear Niema's story about how her parents and four brothers were killed in the tribal wars. She came to London a year ago to escape the terror. She said that she'd be at the markets getting food and someone would throw a bomb in the middle of the market...:(  It's a whole other world there. She has a great attitude!! I would have never guessed all that she's been through. She's so fun and playful.

Niema and me

1 comment:

  1. Isn't service so wonderful? It always makes me feel good inside. Sounds like a neat place that you got to help others. Do you get to go there regularly?

    ReplyDelete