Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Mission Flashbacks

I've been thinking about my mission that I was so blessed to serve in South Carolina 5 years ago. I decided to make a book with pictures, journal entries, and emails from that sacred time.  I've been clearly urged to do this by a loving influence and I'm really enjoying reliving this time of my life while Nelli takes her afternoon naps.  I thought I'd share a few pictures here. These are some that are especially meaningful to me:

Summer.  She was with a group of BYU students who came to SC to sell security systems for the summer of 2008.  She was married to a member of the church, who was less active and pretty opposed to the church.  Summer made some awesome friends while the husbands were out selling. She was drawn to the gospel and her friends, the women in the picture below, taught her all they could then called us to teach her the rest.  What an experience!  She had so much support and love in her friends and decided to be baptized, in faith that her husband would come back to the church.



 
Debra, a very prepared lady. Sister Sturzenegger and I met her in our apartment complex's gym.
 
Oh, Elder Ford (our district leader)...we teased him so much and he took it like a champ.


When it rained, it poured (metaphorically and literally).


Nicole Dropla and her brother Michael.  Nicole wanted to be baptized for a long time. Her mom and brother were faithful members. Her dad, a member of a different church, said she could be baptized on her 15th birthday. Michael baptized her on her 14th :)  The little boy and girl in the picture love Michael and were investigating the church at the time.  Lemont, the boy, had a great spirit.  He was baptized shortly after I left Columbia for Irmo.

 
Imani Edwards, our little buddy. Sis. Thatcher and I were teaching Imani's grandma, Lilly, when we realized Imani was soaking it all up....woo hoo!  We had so much fun teaching her.
 

 

The Smiths. Sister Nelson and I taught them for months. Elisha's dad is a pastor, so she had a ton of insightful, thought provoking questions.  We had some heated and powerful discussions at the Smiths'.

So, there's a sneak peak at what I'm up to these days during Nelli's blessed afternoon nap. I'm making my book through an online book company called, blurb.com.  I can make it all online, then send it in to be printed.  I plan to put it on my bookshelf at home to easily refer to and share with Nelli (and my future children) the power and faith of that time.

2 comments:

  1. Martha, what a great idea to have a "mission book" for your kids to look through, cherish and be inspired by. Love it! May just have to follow suite ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really good idea. Every so often my mind recollects mission memories. It is kind of weird maybe this is normal but different stages of my life are like they are in different folders and little things help me remember a story. It helps that Rachel and Alex ask for stories it keeps me remembering the past. I am so focused on the present and future that I tend to forget about the past. Good luck with the mission book!

    ReplyDelete