Saturday, May 29, 2010

Imperial College


I have begun working at Imperial College in the Centre for Synthetic and Systems Biology of the Department of Engineering. It took a while to get everything coordinated, but now it's done. It's kind of crazy how secure their campus is - I had to get a student card to be able to get anywhere. The building from the outside looks pretty old, but the inside has had some haphazard remodelling with some weird color schemes; the main ones being bright green and bright pink. Quite odd, but you get used to it.

I'm assisting a MSc student (masters of science) from Spain named Nuri. She's doing the same kind of research that I'm interested in, comparing algorithms of network reconstruction, and so it's been interesting working with her. I've had to follow her around a bit the first few days otherwise I'd get lost in the maze of corridors and rooms (as Martha did looking for the loo) and since I could easily have been locked out of the building due to needing to swipe a card through at every turn. Now I have card, so it should be better. She's here until the middle of June, then I'll continue the project she started and go the direction I'm more interested in.

I spend most of my time at the school during the day doing my dream job - studying and reading all day and getting paid to do it! The campus is in South Kensington, one of the more posh areas of London, and there are many free museums on the campus and within walking distance that are fun to explore with Martha after I get off work. It's amazing!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment